This is a bit rough as it is from the first draft but here are a few excerpts from the Route 66 encyclopedia. Consider it a bit of alphabet soup, Route 66 style.
Abbylee Motel –
Promoted as “the prettiest location on Route 66 in Missouri,” the Abbylee Courtopened in 1940 thirty-two miles east of Springfield. The complex consisted of a café and eight clapboard cabins and warranted mention in A Guide Book To Highway 66written by Jack Rittenhouse in 1946.
In 1950, the café burned but the motel remained operational. The remaining cabins rented by the month as of 2010, stand at the intersection of two county highways, CC, formerly U.S.66, and M.
Adamana, located twenty-five miles east of Holbrook on the north bank of the Rio Puerco River, was established as a station on the main line of the A.T. & S.F. (Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe) Railroad about 1890 as a departure point for tourists visiting the Petrified Forest. The name is a derivative combining the name of Adam Hanna, a partner with Jim Cart in a large sheep ranch that operated in the area.
An article in the Oakland Tribune dated July 12, 1914, indicates this was a flag station on the main line of the Santa Fe Railroad. This article describes the community as consisting of, “station house, water tank, store, hotel, and a half dozen other buildings.”
The little oasis has an association with the National Old Trails Highway and as a result may have served the needs of motorists on the first incarnation of Route 66 that followed that highway. However, the consensus among historians is that U.S. 66 actually passed to the north by a short distance.
The establishment of a post office at the ranch headquarters occurred in 1896. Modern references to the small community are at exit 303 on I-40, Adamana Road, and a named railroad siding to the south.
Bosque Farms, New Mexico –
There are references to a farming community on or near this site as early as the mid 18thcentury. The first concrete documentation of occupation at the present site dates to an 1848 reference to a farming community named Bosque Redondo.
The Bosque Farms name dates to a 1934 and 1935 resettlement project initiated by the federal government for families displaced by the Dust Bowl. The association with Route 66 terminated with the realignment of 1937.
Castle Kourt –
The Castle Kourt, later Castle Motel, at 2403 West Seventh Street in Joplin, Missouri, at its zenith during the 1950s consisted of thirty-five stone-faced cabins, the result of enclosure of the original garages between units. Jack Rittenhouse included the facility in his guidebook published in 1946, and the 1954 edition of the Western Accommodations Directory published by AAA noted the complex offered one or two room units with air conditioning or fans, and radios upon request.
The complex is no longer existent.
The initial post office application approved on May 15, 1867 was under the name Hyman. Amendment on April 17, 1900 changed this to Hawthorne and another on January 28, 1910, to Cicero.
The name is in reference to Marcus Tullius Cicero, a Roman orator and statesman. However, the consensus is the selection was in deference to Cicero, New York, the hometown of Augustus Porter who platted the town site of Ciceroin 1857.
Of particular interest to Route 66 enthusiasts today is Henry’s Drive In, 6031 W. Ogden Avenue, dating to the mid 1950s. This restaurant is a famous attraction known for its food and giant hot dog sign.
Correo, New Mexico–
Between 1902 and the establishment of a post office under the name Correo in 1917, the community appears on maps under a number of names. These include San Jose, Rio San Jose, Suwanee, and Suanee.
In 1920, the town located near the junction of the pre and post 1937 alignment of Route 66 consisted of a post office, general store, and bar. In regards to Correo, Jack Rittenhouse noted in 1946, “Here there are two establishments, one on each side of a railroad which crosses U.S. 66. Correo offers gas, groceries, small café, and a few cabins.” As of this writing, only a scattering of houses and foundations remain.
Desert Power and Water Company –
Built in 1907, The Desert Power and Water Company building remains the oldest reinforced concrete structure in the state of Arizona. The company supplied power for Kingman, surrounding communities, and numerous mines in the Cerbat and Black Mountains.
With completion of Boulder Dam, now Hoover Dam, electricity production ended in 1938. From this date to 1997, when it was restored and converted into a museum and visitor center the building served as storage for Citizens Utilities transformers, city equipment, and similar purposes.
In 1997, work commenced to transform and renovate the property rather than demolish it. Today, it houses the office of the Kingman Area Chamber of Commerce, the Powerhouse VisitorCenter, the offices, as well as gift shop for the Route 66 Association of Arizona, and a Route 66 museum operated by the Mohave Museum of History & Arts.
The Grand Canyon West Resort managed by the Hualapai Tribe, opened offices in the building during the spring of 2011. This further solidified the buildings new role as a tourism center for the Kingman area.