Could this be the best Route 66 event? Is the annual Arizona Route 66 Association sponsored Route 66 Fun Run weekend the ultimate celebration of the Route 66 experience?
Now in its 29th year, the event does more than transform 160 scenic miles of this storied old road into a living time capsule. It provides enthusiasts from throughout the world with an opportunity to experience the old road as it was with a crush of traffic sharing the narrow highway and filling cafes, and as it is in the era of renaissance.
Indications are that this might be the biggest and best fun run to date. In addition to the wide array of activities in Seligman on Friday, the cruise to Kingman (more than 800 classic vehicles are expected, as well as a fleet of rental cars since tour groups from New Zealand and Australia will also be participating) on Saturday morning, and the car show on Saturday afternoon, there will be a number of intertwined opportunities to ensure that this is a most memorable weekend.
I hope to see you there! A quick list of activities includes –
- Tours at Grand Canyon Caverns –
- Traditional Hualapai dances at the cultural center in Peach Springs –
- Keepers of the Wild wildlife park –
- An award winning Route 66 museum, and the world’s only electric vehicle museum –
- A craft beer festival at the House of Hops in the historic Kingman Club on Saturday from 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. –
- Viewing of the Ramada Kingman Route photo exhibition –
- Jess McEntire performing at the historic El Trovatore Motel for Monica’s birthday on Saturday evening –
- A dinner and show at Ramada Kingman –
- No cover charge for an evening of entertainment by Hell Camino at Black Bridge Brewery that commences at 8:00 P.M. –
- Historic district walking tours –