Gilligan's Route 66 Tours innovative self drive option is transforming the way people travel Route 66, America's most famous highway.
Gilligan's Route 66 Tours is the sponsor of the Jim Hinckley's America Time Capsule page
Dunton Motors on Andy Devine Avenue (Route 66) in Kingman, Arizona dates to 1946. The dealership is still owned by the same family but operates as Dunton Motors Dream Machines, a classic car facility.
This view of the National Old Trails Road in Kingman, Arizona is looking est toward Slaughter House Canyon and the snow covered Hualapai Mountains. Before 1921 this highway followed South Front Street (now Topeka Street). Photo Mohave Museum of History & Arts
This photo of the National Old Trails Road in Kingman, Arizona show the intersection of South Fourth Street and South Front Street (now Topeka Street). From 1926 to 1937 Route 66 followed South Fourth Street. Photo Mohave Museum of History & Arts.
Ed’s Camp on the pre 1952 alignment of Route 66 in the Black Mountains of Western Arizona was a true desert oasis. Established by Ed Edgerton in the mid 1920’s, the complex consisted of a small cafe, cabins and camp ground, rock shop, and gas station. Father Garces camped at the springs here during the expedition of 1776. Photo Mike Ward collection.
Built by George Prewett in 1932, on the site of a campground on the Cherokee Trail of Tears, the Stonydell Resort consisted of a hotel, restaurant, cabons complex, goldfish pond, large swimming pool, and camp ground. Vacationers from as far away as Kansas City, Oklahoma City and St. Louis traveled to the resort. In 1967 most of the complex was razed during construction of I-44. Photo Joe Sonderman collection
On June 22, 1949 legendary oil well fire fighter W.A. “Tex” Thornton was murdered at the Park Plaza Motel, cabin 18, on Route 66 in Amarillo, Texas. The murder, the search for the murderers, and the trial generated national headlines for almost a year as it was a tale of sex, betrayal, and a nation wide manhunt. Photo Mike Ward collection
Located on the National Old Trails Road between Holbrook and Winslow, the Chevlon Canyon Bridge was the first highway bridge authorized by the state of Arizona. Approval for the project was given in the fall of 1912, and the bridge opened in 1913. Edsel Ford crossed this bridge during his trip in the summer of 1915 during his trip to California along the National Old Trails Road. Photo Jim Hinckley collection
The popularity of Route 66 as an all weather route that connected Chicago with Los Angeles is made manifest in this article published in the Kingman Daily Miner. Courtesy Mohave Museum of History & Arts
This photo of Buffalo Bill Cody at the tiller of a 1904 Michigan exemplifies the changing times at the dawn of the 20th century. Cody was an early proponent of the good roads movement, and helped to develop the National Old Trails Road. Photo Jim Hinckley collection
Snell’s Summit Station was located on the summit of Sitgreaves Pass in the Black Mountians of western Arizona. This road was the course for the National Old Trails Road from 1913 to 1926, and for Route 66 from 1926 to 1952. This station served travelers from the 1930s to the early 1950s. Photo Steve Rider collection
In the summer of 1915, Edsel Ford and his college buddies set out on epic adventure from Michigan to the Panama Pacific Exposition in San Francisco. Included in their grand tour were the scenic wonders of the American southwest. Photo Historic Vehicle Association
Dating to 1903, Oatman on the west slope of the Black Mountains in Arizona was at the center of the last gold rush in the territory. As the mines began to play out, only traffic on Route 66 kept the town alive. With the bypass of that highway in 1952, the town faded fast. Photo Mohave Museum of History & Arts
Dating to the early 1940’s, Stony Wold Court in Kingman, Arizona was one of more than a dozen motels and auto courts that lined Route 66 in this small desert crossroads. Photo courtesy the Jim Hinckley’s America