A few company’s such as Fuller, a division of the Fuller Buggy Company, were quite short lived. This particular company survived for a few short months that spanned the end of 1909 and the beginning of 1910. Interesting enough, Ted O’Dell, director of the fledgling Hackett Auto Museum in Jackson, has located two Fuller automobiles and both are still in Jackson!
For a brief time around 1900, David Buick’s automotive endeavors were centered in Jackson. Buick had other associations with Jackson. In the late teens he acquired the moribund Hackett Automobile Company factory, and initiated the manufacture of automotive components.
In an odd twist of events Mansell Hacket had acquired the factory complex from Benjamin Briscoe. In 1902 when David Buick had launched the Buick Manufacturing Company, in Detroit, Briscoe had underwritten the endeavor. Briscoe had been using the factory to produce the Argo automobiles. This was after the reorganization of Maxwell-Briscoe that resulted from the collapse of United States Motor Company, a General Motors type structured company that had attempted to offer trucks and cars at varying prices to fit every budget.
Briscoe had another automotive association with Jackson. In 1914 he launched the Briscoe Motor Corporation. The company survived to 1921 but from its inception it was plagued with delays, financing issues, a national recession the limited sales, and other problems. It was also a company that was innovative, in an odd sort of way.
In 1916 the company launched an interesting promotional campaign. “Buy the four, use it a month and then if you decide you want the Eight, simply pay the difference and a small charge for installation work.” The car was sold with a four-cylinder engine but could be upgraded with a Ferro V-8!
The 1914 Briscoe was an interesting car. It had a single headlight molded into the upper center of the radiator shell. Then there was the Cloverleaf roadster that used compressed papier-mache body panels.
The most successful of the automotive endeavors launched in Jackson was the Jackson Automotive Company that began famous for its advertising slogan, “No Hill Too Steep, No Sand Too Deep.” The company would manufacture automobiles, and for a short time trucks, from 1903 to 1923. The cars developed a well deserved reputation for reliability and durability.
The Hackett Auto Museum & Event Center tentatively scheduled to open in spring 2019 will chronicle and preserve the city’s rich automotive history. Moving the expansive automotive industrial heritage from the shadows into the light is long overdue.